Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What are you REALLY afraid of?


     So....like most people with the internet I get bored and end up on websites like stumbleuponyoutube or pinterest and stare mindlessly at the screen whilst continually scrolling though all the strange things that people post onto this world wide web (really though...don't people think before they post?...but I digress) Every once in awhile I run into something that is a little better than this video
 

or even this video
 
I know right? How can there be better things out there than this? But really my friends there are, things that actually have substance...I was just as shocked as you are right now..really I was.
     As I was scrolling through today I found a quote that went a little something like this:
"You're not afraid of the dark, you're afraid of what's in it.
You're not afraid of heights, you're afraid of the pain that would come from falling.
You're not afraid of the people around you, you're afraid of rejection.
You're not afraid to love, you're afraid of not being loved back.
And you're not afraid to try again, you're afraid of getting hurt for the same reason."
Interesting Right??
It really got me thinking of my own fears and if I was actually afraid of that specific thing or if it was the consequence of if that scared me so much.  And what I discovered was truly fascinating. Take for instance my fear of having to introduce myself to a whole room of people one at a time, that's a pretty common fear for most people. But is it really the introductions or the people that scare us? The answer I came up with was no, not at all. I myself claim to be a people person, I love people and I love talking to people, but it is that moment right before I take the plunge into meeting a new person that my stomach clenches and my body and mind kind of freeze up. It's not the person/people that do that to me but the possibility that they won't like me for whatever reason. So my fear of introducing myself to a whole bunch of new people all at one time really translates into a fear of rejection of some sort {which again is a pretty common fear among human beings...I'm not too original...sorry guys...} I don't know...maybe it is just the psych major in me but I find that truly interesting.
     It works for most fears too...except my fear of spiders...that's legit...those little buggers are terrifying....
Go ahead, try it with your own fears...
I dare you.

No comments:

Post a Comment