Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Wabbit Season! Duck Season! Wabbit Season! Duck Season...Fire!

This is what election season always ALWAYS makes me think of.
Nobody really knows what direction is up, which candidate they truly want to put their support behind and someone always ends up with their beak shot off (metaphorically speaking of course haha)
It never ceases to amaze me how hurtful people can be to one another over politics.
I'm no saint myself...I have been caught up in a spirited political debate once or twice where I have resorted to cheap shots that I wasn't proud of. 
Really though...people get so worked up over who is right and who is wrong that they stop listening to each other and just fight for the sake of fighting...and truly that makes me a little ill.
I was raised to respect the office of the president, no matter who the man or the woman (hopefully that'll happen in this nation soon) is. Because they are, after all, our Commander in Chief, head honcho, the big cheese...and any other cliched euphemisms for leader you can think of.
The president is the leader of this nation that we all love...doesn't that demand our respect?
Even if we don't absolutely love the person holding the office, shouldn't we at least give them our respect for even wanting the job?
Have you ever thought about the job of being the president of the United States of America? I mean sure, we are the greatest nation on earth but that doesn't mean we don't have our fair share of problems.
Personally I think being president would suck...you get blamed for everything that goes wrong even when there's no legal way for it to be your fault, and when things go right credit is never fully attributed to you.
Truly the job of being president is not one on my list of things I want to be when I grow up.
I will always support the office of the president. 
I'll be honest here, I was really hoping that Obama would not be re-elected but the chips have fallen and I will suck it up and support my president.
(Although the t-shirts that say "Hey don't blame me, I voted for Romney" might need to appear in my closet)
This is a choice nation my friends, don't ever forget that. The Lord has blessed this nation in crazy ways since the Revolutionary War and He won't abandon us now. 
It's a little silly to attribute the results of this election to a sign of the apocalypse...and yet I have seen people do that very thing. 
Truly would He allow an outcome that isn't in His plan for this nation?
I don't think so.
To be born in this nation and to be able to have the right to vote for our leaders is an amazing thing; and I for one feel extremely grateful to have been able to exercise my right as an American citizen, sure the results weren't what I was hoping for but that's ok. 
The thing I'm most concerned about is how I see people around me treating each other based on political affiliation...just because someone doesn't believe as you do or supports a different party than you does not automatically qualify them as stupid or evil...truly we all need to watch what we say and give respect. After all you get same amount of respect that you give.
I just want to end this little bit of a political rant with this statement:
 United we stand, divided we fall.
Cliche I know...but just think about it...

Much love,
-L

P.S. now that the election is over you all can turn your votes to what really matters...
THE PRO-BOWL!
Go Ravens ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment