Thursday, July 19, 2012

You and Me Going Fishin in the Dark...

Ok....not really.
But this is yet another post about the Cowboy Grub
and that song is just one of those songs that makes me think Cowboy Grub
Lately I have had a lot of tables at my work ask me how long I have been with the Grub and they are always surprised when I mention that it has been four years. And come to think of it, it really has been a long time. I mean I started there when I was 16 years old.
Four years really is a long time to stick to one job, especially in the food service world.
But to be honest if I could go back and do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.
I have loved my time at the Cowboy Grub, it's been an adventure to say the least and because of it I have met some of the most amazing people, both coworkers and people that I have served.
I've learned a lot too from the people that I have encountered there.
There have been specifics and generals, and I thought that I would share some of my musings here.
I really have been thinking about this for awhile haha, it's funny what one comment from a few tables can do to you.
I've thought about what specific coworkers have taught me and what just serving people has taught me, and I'm proud to say that I have worked at the Grub for four years....I kind of think that that is an accomplishment of sorts.
I've mentioned how wonderful my fellow servers are before (like Dani and Rachel and Morgan and Molly etc etc etc) but I've only ever gone into the specifics of what I have LEARNED from them maybe once if even at all. And I feel like I should shine a light on that aspect of my life.

From my fellow servers I have learned:
  • It is never that big of a deal. Just take a couple of deep breaths and go back out.
  • Someone will always be willing to help you out, even if they need "a couple seconds"
  • There will always be a sympathetic ear when you need to whine, moan and complain about particularly difficult situations
  • There will also always be that person who will look you in the eye and say "Suck it up"
  • Multitasking? It's a skill that is learned, not a God given talent
  • Just breathe, everything will work out for the best (even if the best is your awful table finally leaving)
  • True friendship means not whining about making 8 house salads for someone else
  • A smile and a laugh go a long way with some people
  • Pie can make even the most angry people happy at least for a couple of seconds
  • And to round this list off: Don't mess with people's trays...if it's out it's probably out for a reason so ask before you put it away.
From my tables I have learned:
  • Time is valuable
  • Apparently water isn't a drink (everyone who works at the Grub will understand why that's funny)
  • Only attractive people get hired at the Grub (I literally had a table tell me that a few months back, I cried I was laughing so hard)
  • It amazes people how well servers can carry trays without always dropping the items
  • It is always ok to say that your wife is the prettiest girl in the room
  • Be nice to your server...only good can come from it
Like I said, if I could go back and do it all over again I really wouldn't change a thing.
The Grub has been a good place for me and continues to be a good place.
Much love!
-L

No comments:

Post a Comment